As the Holiday season builds in momentum with all of the excitement, opening gifts (hopefully some from Mackinac), and family gatherings, we all reflect on this past year and wonder “where did the time go?” As the end of 2014 comes to a climax with the New Year’s countdown at midnight, “10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1….HAPPY NEW YEAR! , we sing, reflect, and make resolutions on what we’re going to do in the New Year that we didn’t do in 2014.
People’s top 10 lists or resolutions include, getting rid of those extra pounds, start an exercise routine, and actually sticking to it, managing stress, volunteering more, quitting smoking, getting a better education, save money, reduce and recycle, get a better job and take a well-deserved trip. We think all of these are great, especially the last one. Take a well- deserved trip and we might be so bold as to say, return to Mackinac Island in 2015, your home away from home.
On Mackinac, everyone has their favorite things to do, whether it’s where to shop, where to stay, (hint: Chippewa or Lilac Tree), where to eat, buy fudge, places to visit, sightsee, explore and where to bike ride.
What’s on your top 10 list to do when you return next Spring, Summer and Fall?
Here are some ideas to start making your list so you’ll be ready.
- Have lunch or dinner on the patio at the Pink Pony and listen to great music.
- Try a new flavor of fudge at Murdick’s, Joann’s or Ryba’s.
- Visit the Fort and learn tons about the history of Mackinac Island.
- Bike around the island in the opposite direction from your normal route. Try it!
- Visit Arch Rock by bike or climb the stairs from the bottom. (selfies allowed)
- Take a horse drawn taxi with a Mackinac tour guide and learn real island trivia.
- Ride your bike up the long hill, past the Grand Hotel to the top, without stopping. Later, ride back down, carefully.
- Bike ride to the inner island and visit the airport, and watch the planes take off and land.
- Shop at Destination Mackinac (next to The Chippewa) and buy your favorite Mackinac Attire.
- Bike from Arch Rock and all the way down Leslie Avenue.
Wow! We’re excited just thinking about this list. How about you? This New Year, make your own Top 10 list on what you’re going to do when you come to Mackinac in 2015. Share your list and post your ideas on our Chippewa Hotel Facebook page. Let’s see how many of you have similar Top 10 lists or even give others your ideas. We’re looking forward to hearing from all of you!
Go for it and Happy New Year!
George Piliouras for The Chippewa Hotel