Did you ever have such a great time that you thought there’s no way it could get any better? Last year was our 1st Craft Beer Opening weekend. It was my first time I had been to a Beer Pairing Dinner and it was amazing. I even had the perfect beer paired with my dessert! Everyone raved about the great time they had so this year, we had our 2nd Annual Michigan Craft Beer Opening Weekend on May 6th- 8th. Guess what? It was even more outstanding with another sold out crowd at the Chippewa and Pink Pony!
The next weekend, May 13th– 15th, we had our 1st Michigan Wine Weekend and It was another fantastic weekend. We had a great intimate crowd that started with wine tasting in 4 stations on Friday night in the lobby of the Chippewa, then Saturday morning wine classes held by wine master Bill Borre, followed by a great walking tour into the East Bluffs with Mark Chambers, a long-time Islander with wine sampling stops along the way. Enjoying wine, relaxing on a beautiful porch on the East Bluffs while taking in the magnificent view of downtown Mackinac, then walking through the inner Island listening to history was like going back in time. All of that led to a wonderful, wine-pairing 5- course dinner that was nothing short of spectacular with great food, wine, and the atmosphere was intimate and cozy. My wife and I got to meet some great people and everyone we talked to requested that we do the Wine Weekend again next year! One guest’s comment captured what we all felt that weekend when she said; “I feel so special!” Everyone was given passports for the event to check off all of the weekend festivities and at the end of dinner, the passports were put into a a jar for a prize drawing. One of our guests name was drawn and he won a free pass to next year’s Wine Weekend to a huge round of applause from all of us!
Two great back-to- back weekends sets the stage for what’s sure to be a great 2016 season! There’s so much to do and see on Mackinac and as always, something for everyone.
What do you like to do while you’re on Mackinac? Here’s some great ideas to get you going so you can plan your next trip with us at the Chippewa.
- June 3rd – 12th : The Lilac Festival:Mackinac Island’s Lilac Festival is a 10 – day celebration, the first and largest summer event on the island and this year promises to be one of the best ever! The Lilac Festival is proudly celebrating its 68th year!
- July 4th: Enjoy a Star Spangled 4th of July at Fort Mackinac and re-live the birth of our country and Mackinac Island’s role in our independence. Then at dark, watch the sky light up with a great Fireworks display by Windermere Point to the “oohs” and “ahhs” of the crowd!
- July Boat Races: July 3rd is our Pink Pony Around Mackinac Island Sailboat Race. July 16th– 19th Is the famous Bell’s Beer Bayview to Mackinac Sailboat Yacht Race, followed by the Chicago Yacht Club’s Sailboat Race to Mackinac. There’s no better views on the island than our very own Chippewa Hotel and Pink Pony where you can see all of the boats come in plus enjoy in the festivities at our famous Pink Pony where you’ll have yachts and yachts of fun!
- August 7th: Everyone on Mackinac loves horses and a great way to celebrate is going to The 46th Annual Mackinac Island Horse Show at the Equestrian Center. It’s a great show!
- August 19th-21st: Mackinac Island is known for it’s world-famous fudge so join us for the Mackinac Island Fudge Festival. There’s lots to do with events like Dining Under the Influence of Fudge, Fudge on the Rocks, Michigan Craft Brew Beer Tastings and a huge “Golden Ticket” vacation giveaway!
It’s time to feel better fast and start planning your best summer yet! Give us a call to make your reservations at your home away from home. Leave the world behind and travel back in time to experiencethe magic of Mackinac Island.
We’re looking forward to seeing you again soon!
George Piliouras for The Chippewa Hotel